Haydon Pinhey – Plymouth Champion 2007/08

Bronze Waistcoat Tour Plymouth Ranking 2007-08

Bronze Waistcoat Tour – Event 1

(Victoria Snooker Centre, Plymouth)



1st September 2007
The West of England Billiards & Snooker Foundation tournament season got underway with the popular Plymouth Bronze Waistcoat, Tour hosted by the Victoria Snooker Centre, St Budeaux. There are a total of twenty four players signed up for the tour, with fourteen players turning up for the first event, low numbers where to be expected as children still on their summer holidays. Chris Coumbe, the pre-season favourite shined throughout the day peaking with a 2-0 win in the final against another rising star, Haydon Pinhey. Coumbe stamped his authority early on in the final by racing away with the first frame, demonstrating patches of strong safety play and fantastic long potting. Coumbe has thrown down the gauntlet in this first event giving his fellow competitors an early warning of what he is capable of. Pinhey also showed fine form throughout the day and deserved to reach the final, he is looking very sharp and focused; these two players have definitely set the bench mark for this season.

The first semi-final was between Coumbe and Chris Corry, this match saw Coumbe get off to a flying start taking the fist frame putting Corry under pressure. Corry had a lot of support throughout the day, with his girlfriend by his side and played with a great deal of confidence, taking him to the semi-final for the very first time. Coumbe ended up winning the second frame by fluking the pink, leaving Corry to shake his hand and congratulate him for reaching the final.

The second semi-final was between Adam Lewin and Pinhey, long shots were flying in left right and centre with Pinhey knocking in a superb break of 25, all Adam could do was watch the ‘pocket rocket’ sink the balls, wining the first frame 66 points to 9. The final outcome was a 2-0 win for Pinhey and a place in final against his rival Coumbe. Lewin has come on leaps and bounds since last season and is exhibiting devastating potting and will be a strong contender in future events, well done Adam!

The quarter finals saw Jacob Stokes against Pinhey, Stokes took the first frame, which at first took Pinhey aback. However, he bounced back to knock in an outstanding 32 break to level the match. Pinhey then took control to become the victor 2-1. Harley Dalton, a newcomer went 1-0 down to Corry in the other quarter final which Dalton replied with a good clearance to level 1-1. Corry sealed the match by taking the final frame to win 2-1 and progressed into the semi-final. Peter Beckwith was determined to taking the first frame off Coumbe but the overall champion of the day stepped up the pace and won the next two frames to secure his place in the semi-final. Cody Hall faced an in-form Lewin in the quarter final losing 2-0.

In the group stages group D, was won by Coumbe winning all his matches 2-0 aided with a 21 break. Runner up Dolton just beat Ben Westmore 2-1 in the deciding frame. Westmore is another newcomer this season who benefited from looking smart on the day by winning the best dressed award, a snooker DVD.

Group C; saw Pinhey coming out on top winning both matches with a string of breaks and showing the advantage of ensuring a colour with every red. Corry finished runner up in this group, narrowly losing to Pinhey. Sam Lloyd who lost both his matches could still raise a smile, as always, was looking forward to his next match in the plate competition.

Group B, proved the toughest group with Hall taking top spot, he won his first match 2-0 against Ashley Negus and was looking good going into his next. Curtis Campbell took the first frame from Lewin but he ended up losing 2-1. The group was tight and this saw Negus in fourth spot with Campbell in third, Lewin took the runner up spot.

In group A Beckwith won the group by virtue of winning all of his matches. Stokes came runner up beating a very unlucky Dan Legassick, another newcomer. Legassick, who shows great determination for the game for a nine year old, will be one to look out for in the future. Kyle Simpson had all his matches go to the wire and was also unlucky. However, these two players had some success by making it to the final of plate competition in which Legassick won the final.

Darren Hall, Tournament Assist said “well done to all the players who took part in this first tournament of the season. It was a delight to watch snooker being played with such great spirit., in my eyes they are all winners! Everybody seemed to enjoy themselves and I look forward to the next event which will be held at Plymouth Snooker Centre, Union Street on the 3rd November. Tournaments like this can only benefit the West of England Billiards & Snooker Foundation with all these young players coming through.

Report by Darren Hall

Bronze Waistcoat Tour Plymouth Event 1 Results 2007-08

Bronze Waistcoat Tour – Event 2

(Plymouth Snooker Club, Plymouth)



3rd November 2007
The second event of the West of England Billiard & Snooker Foundation, Plymouth Bronze Waistcoat tour was hosted by the Plymouth Snooker Club. This new venue to the WEBSF brought victory to a new player to the tour, 13 years old James Bolton from Salisbury. The talented youngster played solid snooker throughout the day which culminated in a 2-0 victory over Cody Hall (Plymouth) placing him 5th in the overall rankings. The final took place in front of a large crowd in the superbly refurbished arena. Bolton also made the highest break of the day in the final, a fine 25.

In the first of the semi-finals, Hall cruised passed youngster Daniel Legassick 2-0 with a fine display of some awesome potting for good measure. The other semi-final saw Bolton make short work of Adam Lewin. A string of small breaks was the deciding factor in the 2-0 win. For Lewin this was the second successive semi final defeat on the trot.

The Quarter finals were peppered with close finishes, the first saw Hall come through two close frames against Ashley Negus, winning the second frame on the black to win the match 2-0. Daniel Legassick overcame Curtis Campbell by the same score line, again both frames going to the final colours. Michael Lloyd and Lewin shared the first two frames in their match. Lewin, behind for most of the deciding frame, played solidly to keep himself in with a chance. One good safety shot from him at a vital point in the frame and the chance came. Lewin potted the final black to win by 4pts and take the match 2-1.

In what turned out to be the match of the day, ranking list high flyer Haydon Pinhey went 1-0 up against Bolton with a fine display of potting. Not to be outdone, Bolton responded in the next to level at 1-1. Pinhey started the strongest in the decider opening with a good 24 break, a lead which he carried into the colours. Pinhey needing only two pots to leave Bolton requiring snookers found chances few and far between after some excellent safety from Bolton. With just the black remaining, the first chance fell to Pinhey, which he failed to capitalised on. At first glance it looked as though Pinhey had left the black safe, leaving Bolton with a very thin cut the full length of the table. Boulton stepped up to the plate dispatching a great pot to snatch a 2-1 victory.


The group stages saw plenty of tension, as the qualifying places were not decided until the final pots were sunk. In group A the draw brought together four players that, on paper, were real contenders to win the event. Bolton eventually finished in top spot, by virtue of winning all his three matches. He dropped just the one frame in a 2-1 victory over Peter Beckwith. Event one winner, Chris Coumbe failed to qualify for the knockout stages, after winning his first match 2-0 against Beckwith it looked like business as usual for ‘Mr Consistent’. However, in his next match, Coumbe came up against Pinhey, who had revenge on his mind after his defeat at the hands of Coumbe in last months final. Pinhey played very well to cruised to a 2-0.win. Coumbe’s destiny was in his own hands going into his last match knowing a win could see him qualify. His opponent was having none of it, Bolton won two close fought frames to send Coumbe out of the tournament. Pinhey secured second place with an accomplished display of potting in a 2-0 win over Peter Beckwith.

Runaway Group B winner, Lewin lived up to his reputation of being a real contender this year, romping to three wins without dropping a single frame. Lewin beat Hall in the first match 2-0 and then survived an early scare in his next match when Harley Dalton potted fluently to build an early lead before Lewin dug dig deep to haul himself back into the frame, eventually wining on the colours to win 2-0. The much improved Sam Lloyd gave Lewin another tough match, Lewin producing some solid safety play which proved to be difference in the end to win 2-0 at take top spot. After losing his first match Hall showed real determination, winning his next match 2-0 against Dalton. Second place in the group was up for grabs prior to the final match between Hall and Sam Lloyd. With The score level at 1-1 a nervy decider ensued. Hall eventually running out the winner on the final colours.

Ashley Negus was group C winner with three wins out of three. Negus only dropped the one frame in a 2-1.win over Daniel Legassick. In his first match, Negus had a tough dual against Stephen Dyer, both players had chances to win but it was Negus who made the most or the chances to win 2-0. The second qualifier from the group was Legassick who opened his account with a 2-0.win over Stephen Dyer. His progression in the competition rested on the result between himself and brother of Stephen Dyer, Daniel. Daniel Dyer won the first frame and looked the more likely to qualify. However, Legassick dug deep to win the remaining two frames and snatch a well earned 2-0 victory. With both qualifiers already decided, the remaining match was purely for ‘bragging rights’ as the two brothers Dyer did battle. Daniel Dyer proved too strong on the day winning both frames on the black.


Group D proved to be to close to call, with three players finishing in joint first place, all winning two and losing one match. Final positions where determined by frame difference. Michael Lloyd eventually came out as group winner. In his first match, Lloyd won 2-0 against Curtis Campbell. Jacob Stokes, now in his fourth year on the tour, came from 1-0 down against Lloyd to win 2-1. He went on to secured top spot with a 2-0 win over Chris Corry. A battling Corry gave is all as normal, narrowly losing his remaining two matches 2-1 to seal his fate. Stokes and Campbell played out the last match, knowing that the winner would progress. Campbell proved to strong in the end pinching both frames with some excellent potting to win 2-0.

The players faced a real challenge on this leg of the tour, playing on some fantastic tables. The venue has just gone through an extensive refurbishment, and it would have been of no surprise to see the players struggle on such tight and quick tables, this was not the case. Everyone’s game benefited. This tour is gaining momentum fast, and with players travelling to compete from as far away as Salisbury, their commitment as to be commended. Event three will be held at Rileys, Plymouth on Saturday 19th January 2007.

The next round will be held at Rileys, Courtenay Street, Plymouth on the 19th January 2008.

Report by Wayne Branton

Bronze Waistcoat Tour Plymouth Event 2 Results 2007-08

Bronze Waistcoat Tour – Event 3

(Riley’s, Plymouth)



19th January 2008
The West of England Billiard & Snooker Foundation’s popular U16 Bronze Waistcoat tour has reached event 3. Rileys, Plymouth played host, and another good number of competitors turned out to do battle in a bid to be crowned Plymouth Bronze Waistcoat Champion. Haydon Pinhey, already joint top in the rankings going into this event, improved his chances considerably cemented his grip on the title with a 2-0 victory in the final against Michael Lloyd. Pinhey reached the final the hard way, coming from 1-0 down in the semi final against event 2 winner, James Bolton from Salisbury after beating Peter Beckwith 2-0 in the quarters. Never giving up, Pinhey kept his nerve to overturn the deficit to win 2-1. In the other semi final Lloyd, fresh from his first win in a previous WEBSF/Rileys tournament, is really starting to show improvement. He had little trouble in the knockout stages, winning 2-0 against a much improved Cody Hall in the quarters and then repeating this win by the same score line against Chris Coumbe in the semi final. Newcomer to the tour Dan Grenney, had a superb debut, progressing through to the knockout stage before losing to Bolton 2-0 in the quarters. A 28 break from Bolton was the highlight of the match.


Group A saw Pinhey take top spot with 4 wins from 4, dropping just a solitary frame in a 2-1 win over seasoned Bronze campaigner, Curtis Campbell. Things could have been different in this match; Campbell 1-0 up was on the brink of clinching the second frame and match. A lapse in concentration allowed Pinhey in to steal it on the colours. With confidence high, Pinhey opened the decider with a fine 32 break, which turned out to be the highest of the day, to pinch a 2-1 victory. Second place went to Michael Lloyd, winning 3 of his 4 matches. Lloyd opened the day with a 2-0 win against practice partner Jacob Stokes. He followed this with 2-1 wins over Chris Corry and Campbell. Third place went to Campbell who just missed qualifying by the odd frame.

In Group B it was Peter Beckwith who stamped his authority, winning all three matches 2-0. Debutant Grenney took the second qualification place with two wins, the best when overturning a 1-0 deficit against the talented Adam Lewin. This result was enough to relegate Lewin to third spot and bring his tournament to an early end. Veteran of the Bronze Waistcoat tournaments, Ashley Negus, had by his standards, a bad day at the office, losing all three of his matches, nevertheless he kept smiling throughout the day.

Group C was headed by Chris Coumbe with three wins, only dropping 1 frame in a 2-1 win against Sam Lloyd, younger brother of Michael. Second spot went to the youngest player in the tournament, Daniel Legassick who had 2-1 victories over Harley Dalton & Sam Lloyd. The only defeat was a 2-0 against group winner Coumbe. Lloyd finished in third spot leaving Dalton in 4th place

The records show Hall dominating group D, sweeping away all comers 2-0. However, a couple of frames went close with a respotted black against Stephen Dyer and a battle against Bolton which proved to be the toughest. Even though Hall won 2-0, both frames went all the way and were eventually decided on the final colours. Recovery for Bolton came due to him winning his other two matches 2-0. This was enough to secure him second spot. The two Dyers, who can’t seem to avoid each other in the draws, contested 3rd & 4th spot. A 2-0 win for Stephen over Daniel relegated Daniel to 4th spot.


With yet another different winner of the tournament it’s proving hot at the top of the rankings, at just past the half-way stage it’s anyone’s guess who will be crowned Plymouth Champion. Good news for the following pack is that the pressure has been eased slightly, following the news that there are now going to be at least eight places up for grabs from the Plymouth tour that will progress to the overall finals day. This is where the cream of the other areas from around the region come together to determine the overall WEBSF Bronze Waistcoat Champion.

Pinhey, with this victory has jumped from 3rd to 1st, and Hall has slipped from 1st to 2nd. The biggest leap saw Michael Lloyd put himself in the mix, jumping from 13th up to 7th. Plymouth B youth team Captain Peter Beckwith has also put himself in the reckoning, moving up from 10th to 8th.

Tournament Director Steve Brookshaw said “It’s good to see no one player is dominating the proceedings. With so many at the top of the rankings competition can only get more intense”. Event four will be held at the Plymouth Snooker Centre, Plymouth on Saturday 23rd February 2008. Anyone under 16 interested in playing in this tournament should visit the WEBSF web site http://www.websfsnooker.com

Report by Wayne Branton

Bronze Waistcoat Tour Plymouth Event 3 Results 2007-08

Bronze Waistcoat Tour – Event 4

(Plymouth Snooker Club, Plymouth)



23rd February 2008
The penultimate round of the West of England Billiard & Snooker Foundation Plymouth Bronze Waistcoat tour was hosted by the Plymouth Snooker Club. All table time was kindly donated by the club. Haydon Pinhey has become favourite to lift the Plymouth title and shined throughout the day peaking with a 2-0 win in the final against first time finalist Daniel Grenney. The final started tense with both missing easy opportunities due to a long days snooker taking its toll. Eventually Haydon Pinhey cruised over the winning line with an excellent display of long potting and determination to win. Pinhey, who is at the top the ranking list, is brimming with confidence after doing so well at the junior festival at Pontins recently, reaching the last 16 in his age group. The experience he has gained from this trip is showing in his play. In the semi finals Michael Lloyd faced Pinhey, known to his friends as the ‘pocket rocket’ due to his ability to pot fast and accurate, got of to a tremendous start by winning the first frame 53-4. Lloyd, who has been showing great form of late put in a tremendous performance in the second frame and was fighting to reach the final with grit and determination, took the frame to a black ball. The safety play was well balanced between both players but in the end Pinhey skipped over the line with a timely fluke on the black to win 2-0. Lloyd was unlucky not to take the match to a deciding frame. Grenney faced Stephen Dyer in the other semi final, Dyer was looking in great form all day knocked in a break of 26 in the first frame, only to see Grenney fluke a snooker on the blue, after which Dyer missed and Grenney cleared to win the frame. The second frame was just as close with Grenney just beating the improving Dyer 2-0. Grenney looked focused all day and was beaming with joy knowing he was in his first final.

The quarter finals saw Stephen Dyer step up a level and produce some solid snooker to take the first frame against Jacob Stokes. Dyer responded to having England International Matt Williams (Plymouth) sat on the side-lines watching him play all day. This seemed to inspire Dyer with confidence. Stokes won the second frame to level the match which ended in a tense and final decider. Dyer potted well secure a solid 2-1 victory. Stokes played some awesome snooker throughout the day to reach the quarter finals. Cody Hall couldn’t match Grenney in his quarter final ending up losing 2-0. Although disappointed not to reach the semi-finals Hall still managed to keep smiling as he congratulated Grenney wishing him all the best in the next round. Adam Lewin met his rival Haydon Pinhey in their quarter final clash and the destructive Pinhey took the first fame despite Lewins awesome potting power. Lewin was in full flow showing excellent cue ball control to peg back the score to 1-1. This match produced easily the highest quality matchplay of the day as Pinhey came out on top beating Lewin 2-1. Michael Lloyd polished off Peter Beckwith with a fine display of snooker to win 2-0. By his standards Beckwith known as ‘Mr Consistent’ was having a ‘bad day at the office’.

The Dyer brothers can’t seem to avoid each other in the group stages with Stephen wining 2-1 over Daniel. Lewin kept a cool head and potted pink and black to win his first frame against Dan Legassick, Lewin stayed composed to take the match 2-0. Stephen Dyer potted some excellent long balls but Lewin played some outstanding snooker with a fine break of 25 to take the match 2-0. Daniel Dyer took the first with ease against Dan Legassick, in the second frame Legassick dug deep producing some fine consistent potting seems to have the eye for the long pots, won the decider frame 2-1. Stephen Dyer won 2-1 against Legassick with a cracking 27 break to qualify. Group B, Stokes beat Sam Lloyd 2-1 with some great snookers. Lloyd started well against older brother Michael winning the first frame before Michael dispatched a couple of superb long shots to even at 1-1. The decider was won by Michael, clinched the match 2-1. In group C Beckwith match against Pinhey was hard fought with Pinhey winning the deciding frame with a 23 break. Ashley Negus played well against Curtis Campbell with Curtis potting some superb long balls but Negus proved clinical winning 2-0. Pinhey played super against Negus with breaks of 29 & 23 to win 2-0. Beckwith won 2-0 against Negus to clinch a qualify place. Group D, Chris Coumbe and Hall had a close match with all frames going close on the pink and black. With these two chasing Pinhey for top spot one always knew it was going to be a battle. Hall eventually came through to win 2-1. Grenney played good snooker to win 2-1 against Chris Corry. Corry then had another close encounter in losing 2-1 to Coumbe. Hall beat Corry 2-0 to qualify and seal Corry’s fate. Grenney saw off Coumbe 2-1 in a hard fought match. Coumbe is becoming a real ‘never say die’ battler that plays on until every last ball is potted.

Darren Hall said “It augers well for the future with these young snooker players from Plymouth in the driving seat. They are very committed to the game and are showing great potential. It is delightful to watch them play with such professionalism. I have been on many road trips with these players, as far as Prestatyn in North Wales where they compete against some of the best players in the country. Everybody involved with West of England Billiard & Snooker Foundation are doing a great job, and their hard work is reaping rewards as can be seen on tournament days like these All the players turn out well dressed and show impeccable etiquette and sportsmanship around the tables. Well done to everybody and keep up the good work and I look forward to event 5 on the 5th April at the Riley’s Snooker Centre.”

Anyone under 16 interested in playing in this tournament should visit the WEBSF web site http://www.websfsnooker.com

Report by Darren Hall & Steve Brookshaw

Bronze Waistcoat Tour Plymouth Event 4 Results 2007-08

Bronze Waistcoat Tour – Event 5

(Riley’s, Plymouth)



5th April 2008
The West of England Billiard & Snooker Foundation, Bronze Waistcoat tour reached an exciting climax as the last event was played at Riley’s in Plymouth. With all to play for, it was still anyone’s guess who would fill the eight qualifying places, and have the chance to compete against the best of the rest for the coveted title of WEBSF Regional Bronze Waistcoat Champion 2007/8. After a long day of competition, it was the current number 1 and 2 ranked players, Haydon Pinhey & Michael Lloyd who contested the final. Pinhey started the stronger of the two, opening with a 22 break. However, Lloyd remained focused playing solidly in all aspects of his game to take the opening frame to lead 1-0. Both players found it difficult in the next frame, as the colours became tied up. This suited Lloyd, best, eventually doing enough to win the final 2-0 and win his first ever event of the tour. Although losing, Pinhey had already done enough to secure overall top ranking and take title of WEBSF Plymouth Bronze Waistcoat Champion. Pinhey booked his place in the final with a 2-1 win over the vastly improving Peter Beckwith. After sharing the opening frames, it was Pinhey who took the initiative in the decider, posting the days highest break, a 30 to win 2-1. Lloyd’s passage to the final was a little easier, never really being tested by Adam Lewin in his semi final, Lloyd potted freely to a 2-0 win. Old adversaries met in the first of the quarter finals, Pinhey against Chris Coumbe. These two have had many close battles over the past few years and it proved more of the same this time around. First blood went to Pinhey pinching the first frame on the colours. The next frame went down to the final black with Coumbe looking like levelling as the final black headed towards the pocket, somehow it stopped on the brink agonisingly for Coumbe. Pinhey accepted the gift tapping in for a 2-0 win. Stephen Dyer opened the strongest in his quarter final against Beckwith with solid snooker throughout the frame which he won with a timely break. Beckwith looked dead and buried in the next until he found some form on the colours, stealing the frame on the black to level. With a new lease of life, Beckwith looked a different player, winning the decider to secure a 2-1 win. Sam Lloyd made a 22 break in the opening frame of his quarter final against Adam Lewin with the aid of consistent snooker, Lewin reaped the rewards of his tenacious appetite for the game turning the tie upside down by winning 2-1.


After boarding the first of his four trains at Southampton at 5.00am James Bolton’s journey eventually derailed in the last eight when he lost 2-0 to a confident Michael Lloyd. Bolton’s commitment to the tournament has reaped the reward of a well earned place in the grand finals.In group A, it was Chris Coumbe who came out on top with three wins out of three. Sam Lloyd, with 2 wins did enough to secure second qualifying spot and progress to the knock out stage. Jacob Stokes & Chris Corry narrowly missed out. Group B saw Pinhey take top spot again with a unbeaten run. Michael Lloyd took second spot with Daniel Dyer & Dan Grenney failing to qualify this time. A run of modest breaks from Pinhey showed his class. Group C saw Adam Lewin clinch top place edging out Stephen Dyer by a solitary frame. Cody Hall, this seasons “Mr Consistent”, had a rare off day finishing in third place. In group D all three players finished with identical records, qualification to the next round was decided on points count-back. This is the first time this has had to be done in four years of tournaments. Bolton came out on top, followed by Beckwith. Daniel Legassick was the unfortunate player who missed out, news that was met with the usual smile. There were three prizes up for grabs from the final Plymouth rankings, firstly, the top eight players would qualify for the grand finals day on the 25th May 2008. These being Haydon Pinhey, Michael Lloyd, Adam Lewin, Chris Coumbe, Cody Hall, Peter Beckwith, James Bolton with the final place going to Dan Grenney after winning a play-off against Daniel Legassick. The top seven Plymouth based players would be selected to represent the Plymouth youth B team to play in the Devon County Youth cup. and last but not least, the top four players, will play snooker professional Stephen Lee in a forthcoming exhibition being held at the Victoria Snooker centre, Plymouth.

Roger Cole, WEBSF Champion paid tribute to Wayne Branton, Steve Brookshaw, Darren hall & Deborah Branton for their hard work running numerous snooker coaching schools and tournaments throughout the season and wished good luck to all qualifiers at finals day. Anyone under 16 interested in playing in this tournament should visit the WEBSF web site http://www.websfsnooker.com

Report by the WEBFS Bronze Waistcoat Management Team

Bronze Waistcoat Tour Plymouth Event 5 Results 2007-08

Ashley Negus – 23

Chris Coumbe – 21

Daniel Legassick – 22

Haydon Pinhey – 32,32,30,24,24,24,22,20

James Bolton – 28,25

Samuel Lloyd – 22cl,20

Stephen Dyer – 27,25cl

Adam Lewin – 25

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.